Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dark Angel "Jessica Alba" Doesn't Like to be Called a "Latina Actress"


In a recent interview, former Dark Angel and Fantastic Four star (and super hottie) Jessica Alba said she doesn't really like to be labeled a "Latina" actress because she doesn't speak Spanish.

" It is difficult for me to call myself a Latino actress. When I tried to do that the Latin community made it very clear that I didn't speak Spanish and I never did a Spanish speaking movie so I wasn't really part of it because I was half, which made me feel terrible. I only grew up with the Latin side of my family. That's the only culture I could really identify with, but they are right, I don't speak Spanish. So there is nothing I can say in defense."
Maybe she isn't so "Fantastic" after all. Read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with Jessica's feelings, because when growing up and pondering the type of discrimination I encountered, it was always from my alleged "own people." If I ever tried to claim my race, how quickly it was thrown in my face that I did not measure up because of either my name, Cheryl, or because of my lack of speaking Spanish. I learned to speak Spanish with lots of effort because I got tired of being the outsider, yet I couldn't identify and be more proud to simply be an English-dominant American woman.